Top 10 Tips from the DATT
- Get a Deaf Community Consultant
- Do your interpreter budget and schedule your interpreters well in advance of your performance
- Know what to look for in interpreter qualifications to meet your needs for meetings, rehearsals and performance
- Get an ASL coach for Deaf performers
- Do ASL training for staff and theatre personnel
- Do Deaf culture training for staff and theatre personnel
- Make sure your promotions/ marketing is accessible – include ASL vlogs with captions on your website
- Make sure the ticket information on your website is clear, simple and visual
- Make sure your front of house (FOH) is Deaf friendly with a welcome video in ASL and interpreters wearing interpreter buttons to identify themselves
- Make sure your pre-show announcements have either surtitles, visual signage inside the house or interpreters on stage.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do we book ASL Interpreters? What do we do?
What are important criteria when selecting a Deaf community consultant and how can I find a Deaf Community Consultant?
Where can I find information on casting a Deaf Actor?
What are the different approaches for providing ASL interpreted performance?
What should I do if I only have a “limited” budget to work with?
What is the difference between ASL and universal sign language?
There is no one universal sign language. Different sign languages evolve and are used in different countries just as different spoken languages are. International Sign (IS) is contact sign used for international conferences such as the World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) Congress, world events like the Deaflympics and for video productions online for Deaf people to watch around the globe. It is also used when signing individuals with different sign language meet internationally. It does not have the linguistic complexity of particular sign languages from different countries.
What are different listening devices that we can use in our theatre and how do we know what to use?
How do you use an FM Listening Device in theatres?
If it is determined that an FM system is the optimal system for your theatre, it is available to rent through Cahoots Phone: 1.416.203.9000; Email: email@example.com