Conferences, panels and symposiums provide opportunities to share our collective learnings with the theatre community and for Deaf artists to engage on another level with their colleagues. We “shared the floor” in presenting and recommend ensuring that Deaf artists engaged in your production are given the opportunity to represent the work they are doing with you.
These are a few examples of professional forums in which Cahoots Theatre shared learnings during the 2015/2016 season. ASL/ English interpreters were present at each of these events:
- Emergence Symposium 2015, Evergreen Brickworks and TO Centre for the Arts, November, 2015.
- CAMINOS Festival 2015, Daniel Spectrum, Toronto
- Professional Association of Canadian Theatres Conference (PACTCON2016), Calgary, May 2016. Presented via skype.
- Mayfest, Exhibition Place, Toronto, May, 2016. ULTRASOUND materials shared with support from the DEAF CULTURE CENTRE, Canadian Cultural Society of the Deaf. Mayfest is a large Deaf community event (held annually on the 2nd weekend in May) where service organizations set up information booths. It is accompanied by presentations, performance and a large social event attended by the Deaf community.
- New Exhibit Opening (art, history, heritage), 2nd weekend in May annually, DEAF CULTURE CENTRE, Distillery District 15 Mill St., TO
- Deaf Artists and Theatres Toolkit (DATT) Training Workshop, Producers Learning Network, Cahoots Theatre, October, 2016.
- Deaf Artists and Theatres Toolkit (DATT) Presentation, Work in Culture: Accessibility and Employment in Arts and Culture, WorkInCulture and ReelAbilities Toronto Film Festival Panel, October, 2016.